Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Heart of Mid-Lothian

The Heart of Mid-Lothian by Sir Walter Scott is a wonderful Scottish Novel that I am reading in my Scottish Literature class at this time.

I find some of the novel primitive but as he is kind of starting the modern concept of an English novel all by himself I'll have to give him a break.

The story flows well, he seems to use the first chapter, which has nothing to do with the story, to slow the reader down to the pace that he intends to write at. I'm sure even back when Scott was writing there was a bit of a hubbub in England and in the cities. So Scott wants the reader to relax and start to enjoy his book. As he gets into the story he really tells it quick as a shot but there are so many things going on and the narrator is keeping them straight for you but the reader hasn't got all the pieces yet. So there is some sort of mystery to each character as their lives unfold in the story.

I'm enjoying the reading thus far and hopefully I will be finished with the book over the weekend and I'll let you know what I thought of it in it's entirety.

No comments: