Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Scottish Literature

I am currently enrolled in a class with which I am studying Scottish Literature. I really enjoyed some of the folk tales.

My favorite Folk Tale was Death in a Nut, I really enjoyed the humor in it and the lesson. Death is fought and stuffed inside a nut by this kid who doesn't want his mother to die, and now she can't because death is gone, but now nothing can die.

If nothing can die they can't eat, the whole town can't eat. So these people can be in pain and suffer, but they cannot die. So the boy learns that Death is an important part of life. Everything must eventually die and this boy must accept that Death is not something to fight with but to use it and be thankful for it.

The stroy was wonderful, it was a life lesson learned. It is my favorite story that we have discussed so far because it really shows how the Scottish lived. It has much to do with how they are precieved.

No comments: